Because this still needs to be said:
– If you assault someone – you assaulted them. They didn’t deserve it, ask for it, or anything of the sort. You did it. You.
– Blaming the harassed for being harassed is not only counter productive it is also part of the problem.
– Not helping people and keeping quiet when you see people harassed, attacked or otherwise assaulted makes you part of the problem and insures things will not get better.
– Being an ally also means knowing when to shut the fuck up, when conversations aren’t about you, and when to step away.
– If you are not of the group being attacked and harassed, chances are you do not know what it is like. You think you do. You may have a clue. But chances are you really don’t. Want to learn – ask and listen. Don’t debate, don’t explain: Ask. And. Listen.
So come on, be decent human being. It really isn’t that hard:
Step 1: Don’t harass people.
Step 2: Stop others who do.
Step 3: Learn and listen.
Step 4: Help people when they need it.
If any of this is baffling to you, just ask! Operators are standing by to assist you.